Scary dizzy attacks? Peruse our Home Remedies for Vertigo and then see your Doctor to confirm what the cause of this sensation of light-headedness, sinking or falling and even spinning of the room can be.
So many people believe the worst when they have an attack of dizziness and what do they do about it….. nothing cause they are scared!
So to help you not be so scared, we are first going to explain what the reasons for dizziness are and you will be pleasantly surprised to find out how many of them are simple problems that can be easily solved.
Reasons for Vertigo
There are quite a few things that could be the cause of vertigo, the dizziness that occurs when the brain receives strange messages from the ears and eyes.
Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV).
- This is a beeeeg name and sounds serious, but what actually happens (in simple terms) is that as we age, little bits of debris land up in the inner ear and interferes with the signals been sent to the brain that calculates the position of the head.
- Dizziness normally occurs when you turn your head in a certain position i.e. either to the left or the right or up.
- It is the most common cause of vertigo and help is at hand (See Epley Maneuver lower down).
Inflammation of the inner ear
- This is characterized by a sudden attack of dizziness and also deafness in the ear.
- A bump to the head, car accident or any type of head trauma can result in dizziness and will disappear with time.
- These, sometimes debilitating migraine headaches, can also be the cause of dizziness and light-headedness.
- This is the one that scares us all…. a Tumour. That is why it is vital to consult your Medical Practitioner before trying to self medicate.
Low Blood Pressure
- Characterised by a sense of spinning when getting up too quickly.
- We can get so busy in our lives that we often forget to drink water, and as a result can become dehydrated, so remember to drink at least 7 glasses of water a day.